Thursday, November 26, 2009

TGFJ.... (thank God for Jessica)

Growing up, my youngest sister, Jessica, & I didn't necessarily get along. There's a 4 year age difference between us with a middle sister in between. Actually, Jessica & the middle, Christa, are only a year apart, so they were close growing up - like twins. So, Jessica & I didn't have much of a relationship - I couldn't be bothered with her; mainly because we have similar personalities.

Even when I was in my late teens/early 20's, we'd argue & fight. Heck, one time we had a fist fight. Let's just say ambulance were involved.

It wasn't until my sister announced that she was pregnant with my niece that I really even tried to get to know her. The first thing that made me stop thinking of myself & start thinking of her was bringing her to one of her 1st doctor appointment. Listening to the heartbeat of the life who became my niece was life changing.

That's not to say we've always seen eye-to-eye. We're polar opposites, yet both VERY compassionate about our beliefs.

We've been talking more recently; really getting to know one another. Spending time really listening to one another. We're still very different, but I think we accept each other's differences instead of fighting them.

I loved spending Thanksgiving with her this year & was heartbroken when it was time to leave. One of those moments where I really wished we lived right next door to one another so we could share a cup of coffee in the mornings as we get the kids off to school (and I don't even drink coffee). Maybe one day.

I cherish this change in our relationship. It's become a grown-up relationship. I thank God for the change and pray that we will continue to grow together.

I love you Jess!

Many blessings,
Allison

No comments: