Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Taking the magic out?

As a Christian parent, I struggled with the whole 'Santa' issue. Do I 'lie' to my kids about Santa OR do I tell them the truth and risk them telling their friends in Kindergarten?

Craig & I opted to work Santa into our family Christmas traditions. Santa gives gifts to honor the birth of our Savior.

That explanation worked until this year. Actually, it probably would have worked longer if it wasn't for the little stinkers that my son hangs out with. Of course, SOMEONE decided to say the truth about Santa, which caused Justin to question us. I was alright with continuing the Santa tradition, but Craig thought it might be time.

He was heartbroken, to say the least. Now every Christmas conversation, Justin manages to work in the lack of Santa into it. Now that breaks MY heart.

Why is it SO wrong to believe in Santa? Does it really hurt anyone? As long as my children understand the REAL meaning of Christmas, then also adding a jolly old man to it shouldn't be such a bad thing.

Yeah, I know there are some Christians out there who think we were wrong to even introduce Santa to our children. To that I say 'To each his own'. What you do with your family is your business and I would never say that you were LESS of a Christian because of it.

I want to bring back Santa. Bring back the magic of Christmas to my son.
Any suggestions???

Many blessings,
Allison

No comments: