Tuesday, December 29, 2009

One BIG happy family?

Tonight, while babysitting a friend's children, I was flipping through channels. There's not much on, that's for sure!!! I came across a new reality show called 'One BIG Happy Family' on TLC. I'm not one for these types of shows, where people exploit their families for the sake of a few bucks. Yet this one drew me in - not to the point where I'll be tuning in each week, but enough that I watched 2 episodes last night.

The show is about a family; mother, father, 16-year old daughter & 14-year old son, ALL weighing over 300 pounds. They all seem very comfortable & happy in their own skin, however you soon learn that their health is in jeopardy. The 14-year old boy is on the verge of diabetes & the father isn't doing to well either. It seems that this show will follow their journey as they decide to make the necessary changes to their lives in order to lose the weight & become healthy.

At one point during the show, they went to a water park. When they tried to go on one of the rides, they saw that they weren't going to be able to. It was a 2 person ride, with a weigh limit of 400 pounds & no single riders allowed. They graciously accepted this fact & decided to move on. However, the teens/people in the background started to call them all names - fatty, tubby, etc. THAT broke my heart. But this family shrugged it off as no big deal.

It is a big deal... no matter how much you try to not let it get to you, it hurts!

This show was a like a mirror for me. I am overweight - morbidly obese if I'm really honest with myself & you. I need to do something. Sure, I might be healthy now, but all of that can go downhill within months because of the weight.

For now, I'll start with prayer & research. Prayer that God gives me the strength to overcome this addiction - because food is a VERY REAL addiction. Research on how to do it right, with support from others.

I'm in for quite a journey, no doubt one that God is going to use to His glory. Should be an interesting ride. You'll just have to 'tune' in to see how I'm doing.

Many blessings,
Allison

No comments: