Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Finding 'footprints' in the trying times


If I were to paint a picture of my life so far, it would be a simple line chart. Showing the peaks & valleys that I've experienced. Looking back, I can see God's hand in each moment.

It's always SO much easier to praise Him in the good times; thanking Him for the many blessings. Yet in the hard times; the times where you just want to fade away, it is usually not until we are out of the woods that we can see God's hand.

Because of the life that I've lead, sometimes I think that it's a little easier for me to see God in my recent trials. He has seen me through some of the worst moments of my life, surely He we will see me through my current situation.

I want nothing more than to use those 'dips' in my life to help others. Tell them that they are not alone. Let them know that the 1st step is always the hardest, but the steps get a little easier as time goes by.

Several weeks ago, I responded to my very 1st hospital call. I'll admit, I was scared. I prayed every second I could and even called my mother for moral support. When I walked into that ER, a calming sense of peace came over me. Yes, I wanted to weep with the victim. Part of me wanted to share her pain. But then, God gave me this strength. He pulled that strength from my past - what I've been through. It was in THAT moment that I knew I was exactly where I was supposed to be.

You may wonder why my title talks about 'footprints'. There's a beautiful poem called "Footprints in the Sand". At the end, God responds to the author that when only ONE set of footprints were seen, it was THEN that God was carrying them.

While my painting would be a simple line graph, in those valleys I can clearly see only one set of footprints. I may have felt alone, but I wasn't. God had me lovingly in his arms.

May you see His footprints in your life,

Allison

No comments: