Sunday, September 13, 2009

Transparency

Yesterday was a day like any day. I got to sleep late & then nap. Then it was off to Sharp Top to hang with the 7th & 8th graders from church (my husband is a coach for the small group leaders). The kids had a great time swimming in the pool. Justin even got blobbed!! Man, those are the times you wish you had your camera.

But what made the most impression on my heart was the cardboard testimonies. At the evening session, about 10 brave small group leaders stood up in front of their peers & these students and shared why God was worthy of their praise. Reading these signs & seeing how these adults were being transparent for their students brought tears to your eyes. Some battled drug & alcohol addiction, poor self-esteem, heart attack, divorce, broken homes, etc. But it was seeing how God transformed their lives. My heart swelled with love - not only for these amazing adults - for my God. He can take the ugliness of our lives & transform us into something wonderful.

What really brought tears to my eyes was seeing how these kids were affected by their leaders' testimonies. Seeing these kids, usually too cool for anything, walking out of session, crying. You could see how God spoke to them in that moment. Each student got to do their own cardboard testimony.

The best part was my kids asking questions. Even my sweet 11 year old daughter could identify with one of the leader's story. Not thinking she's pretty enough, smart enough, skinny enough. But realizing that God made her & he thinks that she is PERFECT!

We didn't stay to see the outcome, but I cannot wait to hear the stories. How kids' lives were transformed this weekend.

May you be transparent,
Allison

No comments: