Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Anxiety

It's no secret. I'm an anxiety driven woman. I think I take after my paternal grandmother that way; not 'happy' unless I'm stressing over something.

Years ago, while living in New Jersey, I participated in a women's bible study at the church we were attending. The study was 'Calm My Anxious Heart'.Honestly, I have NO recollection of the study. It's not that it wasn't a good study. I just don't think that I 'needed' to HEAR it.

Here I am, about 6 years later and I NEED to hear it! While searching for a study for my married couples group, I came across my copy. We didn't choose it as our study, but I chose it as MY study. Actually, I'm just reading it right now. However, I've got my trusty pink highlighter with me as I read, underlining the things that really speak to me.

What an amazing study this is! Exactly what I needed - funny how God does that, isn't it?

I'm trying to meditate on Philippians 4:6:

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer & petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.


Amazing.. He wants us to pray. Not just pray, but to pray with thanksgiving. Praying with thanksgiving is easy when things are going right. But trying to pray with thanksgiving during the tough times. I'm struggling with that. Yet I am thankful that God has given me another day. Another day with my family & friends and another day to grow closer to him.

I'm on a journey; a journey of contentment. It's not going to be easy, but it WILL be worth it! One of my favorite quotes from this book is:

Contentment occurs when Christ's strength is infused into my weak body, soul and spirit. ~ Calm My Anxious Heart, Linda Dillow


Sometimes we need to be broken to be made whole again.

Many blessings,
Allison

No comments: