Friday, January 30, 2009

Plus sizers unite!!

* I wrote this back in March 2008, but it bears repeating.

I interrupt this blog with some late breaking news! Ok, it’s not really news – I’m just frustrated and thought I’d share it with you.

I am plus size. Even when I lose all my weight, I’ll probably still be a plus size. I’m ok with that. Honestly, I am. What I am NOT ok with is the fact that stores (especially ones for plus size women) charge a FORTUNE so that plus size ladies can look fashionable! Why is that? Because you need the extra fabric????

Sunday I had a mini breakdown over the lack of wardrobe in my closet. It’s never really bothered me before, but Sunday it certainly did!!!

Last night, a friend & I went shopping. First place I check, Lane Bryant. Love that store!!! Very trendy, very hip… very NOW.I found a few things that I liked, but the sticker shock just about sent me over the edge (good thing there wasn’t any chocolate nearby). They wanted $45 for 1 shirt…. 45 DOLLARS!!! Am I being cheap??? So, then I wander to the sale rack. I fell in LOVE with this super cute shirt… I just had to have it. Yeah – it was on SALE for the low price of $29.99. What kind of sale is THAT?!?!?!

Later in the evening, we wandered over to Target (by far, my favorite store in the WORLD!!!). The plus size department consisted of 6 racks of clothing…. 3 of those racks were swim suits!!!! Are they getting rid of plus sizes???? Let me tell you, their maternity section was KICKIN’… if you’re pregnant & need some cute outfits, Target is the place to go. However, if you’re a plus size lady – FORGET ABOUT IT!! (I could bust out the Jersey talk right here).

So, what am I saying?? Probably not much…. But I have a message for society:Plus size women are here to stay. We want (and deserve) to look just as cute & trendy as the rest of the women in society. There is no reason to charge us a FORTUNE either. We need someone who designs clothes specifically for the plus size women (we come in different heights too, by the way. We’re not all short.) Someone who will treat us as equals.

I’m young & vibrant. I don’t want to look like I’m wearing a floral mumu. I want to wear a similar cute trench as my thinner counterparts. There has GOT to be someone out there who can do this! Who’s willing to take the risk? Let me tell you – whoever you are – you will be SWIMMING in $$$$$ if you keep your prices low, but the fashion current.

Back to your regularly scheduled blog…….

Many blessings,
Allison

No comments: