Thursday, January 15, 2009

Even SUPERMOM has a bad day

You all know her. She's the quintessential mom - the one whose children are always perfectly dressed, hair in the proper place, well mannered. You see her come in the room and you just panic. You strive to be THAT mom. You want to be her friend, but you fear that you aren't good enough. That your children aren't good enough.

We all know a SUPERMOM (or two). Quite honestly, I think the first woman I ever thought was SUPERMOM was my own mother - granted my grandmother would have disagreed. Now, I'm not saying that my sisters & I were the perfect children. HARDLY!!! But Mom made due with what she had (LOL). Over time, I realized that Mom had flaws. Did that make her less of a SUPERMOM - no! But it made her more human.

As a young woman in my early 20's, I wasn't too concerned about the SUPERMOM's in my life. I had no use for comparing myself to others. I wasn't a mom yet. Heck, I wasn't even married yet. None of my friends had kids. But the moment I gave birth to my first child, SUPERMOM was born. No, not me. But every other mother that I met along the way.

I remember the first time I realized that a SUPERMOM friend was human. We were talking on the phone (every mother knows that is an impossible feat). Suddenly, there was a racket in the background - kids going wild. My friend paused the conversation, yelled at the kids to be quiet and then continued our conversation as if it wasn't interrupted. I LOVED IT! I was in awe!! Her house sounded JUST like MY house. Chaos all around & Mom trying to steal a moment for herself.

Friends, don't worry about the SUPERMOM's in your life! YOU are a SUPERMOM!! We all have bad days. Enjoy every moment with your children and don't compare your insides to someone else's outsides (thanks Kristin).

Many blessings,
Allison

No comments: