Thursday, July 30, 2009

Diary of a human pin cushion

Today's the day of my allergy testing. Honestly, it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Right now, I'm only being tested for a Brie allergy - which required me to take a quick trip to my local supermarket in the middle of my appointment to pick up the potential offender.

If you have never undergone allergy testing, be VERY thankful. First, they give you a histamine prick, then its a histamine ID. For the Brie test, the mixed some of the Brie with something else to create a paste & added that to the skin. YUMMY - huh?

What have I learned so far? I'm probably NOT allergic to Brie - which makes this cheese lover VERY happy!

For now, I'm sitting in an exam room, eating as much Brie as I want & waiting to swell up like a balloon.

**UPDATE** Dr. R just came in. Looks like we'll be running MORE allergy tests for other culprits.

**2nd UPDATE** After over 150 needles & pin pricks we finally have an allergy winner (I also decided to use this to have a contest. Person who could guess my allergy wins an autographed copy of one of my favorite books). My arms look like I've been shootin' up all day!! Thank goodness I didn't get pulled over on the way home - "Seriously officer. I just had allergy testing done."

The winning allergy: HOUSEHOLD DUST
The book winner: GAIL STORY ROBERTS
The book title: 'In The Shadow of Lions' by Ginger Garrett

So, there we have it.. Dust.


Dr. F's conclusion is that we still do not know what caused my severe reaction back in April, but we know it wasn't Brie. For now, use a nasal spray, antihistamine & carry the EpiPen for good luck.

What was the cause of my anaphylaxis back in April? You're guess is as good as mine & Dr. F's.

Many blessings,
Allison

1 comment:

Basement Stamper said...

ugh, that doesn't look like fun. I'm hoping not to have to endure that anytime soon but am looking at figuring out why my sinus infections with ear blockage has been going on for over a month. Thinking allergies now, so we'll see what the Dr. says.

Glad they figured out what was going on with you!