Monday, May 17, 2010

Being present

This was in my inbox the other day. It's exactly what I needed to 'hear' too! I love when that happens.

Being Present

Reality can be a difficult place to live. Sometimes it seems impossible to stay in the here and now.
From time to time we all revisit the past and yearn for the future. This is natural.
Being present every minute of the day is impossible for anyone.

Still, we can strive to be present for as many minutes as we can. We strive for progress, not perfection.
Today, am I doing what I can to be present?

Thought for the Day
A small dose of reality is better than no reality at all.

As much as I don't like to dwell on my past, sometimes it is a little easier to live back there. I mean, I was SO much thinner then. In my mind, I was SO much happier too! Not to mention, I wasn't dealing with my eating disorder head on, the way I am right now.

BUT so much of my past is responsible for my eating disorder. As a teen, I purposely didn't eat or vomited to stay thin. I was obsessed with being 'skinny'. After dealing with all the sexual abuse that I went through, I began eating as a way to hide my feelings - and myself.

So I NEED to stay in reality. That's what is going to get me healthy. Yes, I'll be dealing with my past, but bringing it to the forefront so that I can overcome this disorder. I'll never be cured, but I will be in recovery. THAT is my reality!!!

Many blessings,
Allison


1 comment:

Muthering Heights said...

That is such a difficult thing to overcome...but it sounds like you've come a long way! Keep up the good work!!! :)