Monday, September 16, 2013

Mending my heart


One of the benefits of volunteering with my middle school students is that on weekend when I'm working and unable to attend service, I still get a sermon.

The current middle school series is titled "The Amazing Grace" - all about how God's gift of grace cannot be earned. It is simply a gift for us to accept. It's a gift for ALL.

Today's lesson spoke directly to my heart. Even the worship music.

I was struggling a little this morning emotionally. I saw Jana for the 1st time since Kevin's funeral. She came over & loved on me, checking to see how I was holding up. As a started to cry on her shoulder and tell her just how much this all sucks, I whispered to her how we miss her - not just Cue52 but HER. She started to cry.

As worship started, I could feel my heart welling with emotion. The final song, Whom Shall I Fear by Chris Tomlin, turned on the water works. Part surrender, part joy.

When the speaker came forward, he talked about the gift of grace. How special it makes us feel to know that God offers us the gift for free. No strings attached. Then he started talking about when we realize that the gift is for everyone - even those who have hurt us.

We want so much for God to judge people the way we judge them. You hurt me, I cut you off. I want to punish you. You don't deserve MY grace. Thankfully God doesn't operate that way.

What is even better is that Christ came to heal the brokenhearted.

The Lord God has put his Spirit in me,
    because the Lord has appointed me to tell the good news to the poor.
    He has sent me to comfort those whose hearts are broken,to tell the captives they are free,    and to tell the prisoners they are released. ~ Isaiah 61:1


That means He wants to heal MY broken heart. Whether it's my broken heart from my past or over the death of the my father. God wants to heal my heart.

This isn't a new concept for me. Mending Hearts is based on the promise in Psalms:

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. ~ Psalms 147:3

Yet why did I need that reminder again? Sometimes, when we're in our grief we can't see clearly. We need a little nudge.

I left church feeling lighter, freer, comforted. I needed to hear that message. It may have been delivered to a group of middle school students, but it found its way to this adult heart. I am blessed.

Many blessings,







No comments: