Sunday, September 15, 2013

New lesson in death


As I shared the other day, my father passed away a little over 2 weeks ago. It was very sudden. My sisters & I were really expecting another 20 years with him. Needless to say, we have been devastated.

I have found that people want to help. They hate feeling helpless when you're going through something so painful. Most offer their condolences, try to give you words of wisdom to help lessen the pain. Others cook. We've been the recipients of some delicious meals - THANK YOU!

They all have been kind and thoughtful and loving. I never knew how loved we were until this happened. I am humbled by the outpouring of love & support from our friends, family & people we don't even know. Hearing from those who knew my dad, sharing their stories of him. Those have been priceless! My father loved being that tough Bronx-born bad ass from New Jersey. Yet, inside beat the heart of a teddy bear.

One friend gently guided me to a website/email group. It's called Grief Share. The last thing I need is ANOTHER email, but since he took the time out to tell me about it, I wanted to check it out.

I've only been receiving the emails for the past 5 days, but they are spot on. It's amazing to open them and see someone putting in words what I am feeling. It brings such a peace. I am not alone in how I am feeling. What I am going through is normal. There isn't a right or wrong way to grieve. It's a personal journey. Each person experiences things differently. No matter what I feel, it's ok to feel it.

This is going to be a LONG journey. I am learning a new normal. I don't like the new normal and I probably never will. At least I can cling to the promise of seeing him again.

Many blessings,



No comments: