Thursday, September 12, 2013

A grandson's farewell

My father passed away suddenly 2 weeks ago. My sweet son asked to speak at his funeral. Here's what he said:

My Keepa (grandfather) was the best harmonica player I knew, not that I knew many, and he was overall amazing. When I saw him, I hugged him. (If I could I would tackle him to the floor). 

I remember the last time I saw him. He had a cane and I started to worry because I love him.


One of my favorite memories of him was when I was trying to teach him how to play Lego Batman 2: DC Superheros on the Wii and I had to repeat stuff over and over again. 

My mom told me that he served in the Vietnam War 18th Engineer Brigade and he worked in the Port Authority for 35 years.

His most recent visit I never thought it would be the last I saw him.

Now that I am here I realized that was not the last time I saw him, but I will see him one day in Heaven. Every day I will look forward to it.

                                                                      Christmas 2012


I have been trying to put down in words exactly what I am going through, but have been so unsuccessful. Certainly not because I'm dealing well with this loss. But because I have so many conflicting feelings right now. Anger, sadness, longing, content, happiness, hope. I'll just take each day as it comes.

Many blessings,



No comments: