Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Psalm 23 revisited

I love the Bible... I love reading it. Historical stories, love letters, letters to the early churches, poems. It's a compilation of so many different types of writing, all God breathed.

Psalms are some of my favorites. Raw emotions & adoration to an all-powerful, all-loving God.

Psalm 23 is probably one of the most recognized Psalm in the world. You don't have to be a Christian or even a religious believer to know it. It is often read at funerals:

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.

However, this Sunday my view of that Psalm will forever be changed. It isn't about death at all... it's about life. About God's promises.

I won't do the sermon justice, so I encourage you to listen to it yourself. Head over to North Point Messages and listen to 'PROMISES'. Justin Grunewald dissects the Psalm and delivers it layman's terms that will really open your eyes.

What it all boils down to is this: God gives us promises. He wants to give us our heart's desire. He longs to have a relationship with us & provide for us. Psalm 23 is just a glimpse of His promises for us. Yet there is something that WE have to do.... for God to work those promises WE need to accept Him. The very first sentence is key!!!

The Lord is MY shepherd.

To many, He is THE shepherd, but He wants to be MY shepherd. Once He becomes my shepherd, he fulfills those promises.

Many blessings,
Allison