Thursday, May 14, 2009

Class of 2009 class trip

I was lucky to join my husband & daughter this past week on their class trip to Chattanooga, TN to Racoon Mountain & the Tennessee Aquarium. This was my first time there and loved it. Honestly, I was scared out of my mind to go to the caves. I have this irrational fear of enclosed places. Just the thought of going into an elevator with a group of people is enough to give me a panic attack. So how was I supposed to explore the caves of Racoon Mountain?

By the grace of God, that's how! Every time I started feeling that panic coming on I just prayed that God would keep me safe (however, having our tour guide continuously telling us how far under the earth we were wasn't helping - at one point, 138 ft.). There were a few tight spots that I had to squeeze through.. and I definitely had to duck down a bunch (5'11" not a good height to go caving).

I have NO regrets about going into that cave though. It was BEAUTIFUL!!! I am always amazed at the beauty God gives us here above the ground, but He has given us just as much beauty underground too. To know that those caves just started with a single drop of water. Indescribable!



I'll be honest, I know we have a multi-million dollar aquarium here in Atlanta, but the one in Chattanooga was, by far, the better aquarium. If you get the chance, CHECK IT OUT!!! The best part was that they had everything spread out in 2 buildings. LOVE IT!

Ok, so they don't have the cool whale sharks or the belugas, but the stuff they did have was just as cool. I even braved my fear of bugs & all things creepy/crawly/flying by going into the butterfly exihibt. I even had a few 'poop' on me (not sure if was really poop, but they left some colorful marks on my shirt). Again, another example of the beauty that God has provided because He loves us.

I even got to see my favorite animal of all time!!! The penguin! Too cute - I would honestly take one home with me if I could have found a way (not that Craig would have been too happy with me - then again, neither would Pablo). The girls that I was overseeing (not my daughter or any of her friends) were more anxious to go to the gift shop, so we zoomed through the exhibits.


There is even beauty under the sea (ok, the sturgeon is NOT a cute fish, but I really thought the jellyfish looked like a symphony moving so gracefully through the water).


It was an amazing day; one that I will remember for a long time!!! I can't wait to go again! :)


Many blessings,


Allison

No comments: