Sunday, February 8, 2015

Allie's Rules for High School


I have been blessed with the opportunity to walk through middle school with an amazing group of young women. Ladies whom I love spending time with. While right now I am on a sabbatical, I try to keep up with what's going on in their lives.

I serve in Transit (my church's middle school ministry) because I remember how tough life was. Having someone - other than a parent - walk through life, speaking truth is KEY. If I can help just 1 of these precious gifts have a better middle school experience then its worth it.

One of the things that is so important for me to show these girls is that they are SO WORTH LOVING! It doesn't matter where they are in their life, they are worth being loved.

In August, my pastor's wife, Sandra, shared on her blog about a conversation she had with her teenage daughter. This young lady (she's 18), she felt compelled to share her 'rules' for high school with her small group.

While she created this list for her soon-to-be high school freshman girls, I truly believe this list is beneficial for ALL women - especially young girls. My middle school girls were given a bookmark with these 'rules' (thanks to one of the moms) and I just had to share them with you!

I won't even pretend to take credit for these rules.... but I do wish I had them in my life when I was in middle & high school. Over the next few days, I'll tackle a few of these rules & share how they could have helped me.

Many blessings,



So I present to you --- Allie's Rules for High School (shared with permission by Sandra Stanley)


  • Surround yourself with people who build you up, not people who tear you down.
  • Treat your kisses like you have a limited supply.
  • Guard your heart. Seriously… your heart is precious.
  • Stay vertical/no buttons and zippers (or Velcro). In other words, set your boundaries and stick to them.
  • Have an accountability partner and be willing to tell HER everything.
  • Be so so so so so so so SO SO SO SO careful who you date.
  • If you’re wondering if you should break up with him, break up with him.
  • If your girl gets broken up with, go buy her a stuffed animal, a blanket, candy, and lots and lots of ice cream. (Other gifts are acceptable.)
  • Pray, PRAY, PRAY! Don’t ever forget how much you need God.
  • Have a quiet time. It may seem like a hassle, but it will help you stay close to God.
  • Be nice to your parents. They love you and want the best for you, so if you disagree with them, just realize that they are a lot smarter than you…sorry about it.
  • If you find yourself lying to your parents/other adults in your life, backtrack and get out of that situation IMMEDIATELY. You are somewhere you do not want to be.
  • Never be afraid to say no. It’s better to be a wimp than dead.
  • When you fall on your face, get back up and keep moving (literally and figuratively).
  • Journal so you can look back and see what God has done in your life.
  • Even when you don’t want to, GO TO CHURCH!
  • If it’s not classy, don’t do it.
  • Don’t judge. Even when people are doing things you don’t agree with, show them love.
  • Pause before you speak… this will prevent a lot of problems.
  • Selfies are for faces.
  • No comments: