Saturday, August 20, 2011

Yet another life lesson....

This summer we went through a pretty rough time - health wise.

The mayor was scheduled to go on a missions trip to the Philippines with the high schoolers at our church. He had been planning this for about a year. Raised the necessary money, got his passport in order. Plane ticket was ordered. It was a done deal.

About 2 weeks before the scheduled trip, the Mayor started complaining of some burning feeling in his stomach. Eventually, this resulted in an unscheduled trip to the ER on a Sunday morning (aren't all ER visits unscheduled?).

While our children were in Transit, the Mayor and I 'snuck' off to the ER. Before you freak out about what a terrible parent I am, know that we made sure people were aware of what was going on. My plan was to get the Mayor checked in to the ER and then head back to church to pick up Songbird and Slugger. From there, I needed to find someone to take care of them so I could go back to the ER.

As I sat in that ER waiting room, I remember thinking 'Man, I am SO mad at the Professor for moving'. The Professor is BFF's husband and you'll remember that they moved to Iowa last year.

Why was I angry with the Professor? You see, my friendship with BFF was so secure that should this type of thing had happened while they were here, BFF and Professor would have just taken over, I would have remained at the ER and the kids would have been taken care of.

What that move did was totally push me out of my comfort zone. I knew that I could lean on BFF and the Professor, no questions asked. However, I hadn't established any other relationships remotely similar in trust.

The Mayor's health crisis forced me to step out of my comfort zone. I needed to learn that there are other people that God has placed in my life that I can trust. That are willing to step in during a time of need.

Man, what a humbling yet necessary lesson. Phone calls were made. The kids were taken care of that day and I was able to go back to the ER and hang with the Mayor until he was released.

Sadly, the Mayor still didn't make the trip. That's a WHOLE nother story!! He didn't make the trip, but we managed to utilize that time to strengthen our relationship.

I still miss BFF and the Professor. I probably will for a long time. There's a hole in our lives. We won't be able to fill that hole, but we will be able to lessen it by continuing to trust in God and the friends He has blessed us with.

So, to our friends - THANK YOU!!!!
To BFF and the Professor - WE MISS YOU!!
To the Mayor - I LOVE YOU BELOVED!!
To my Creator - THANK YOU FOR TEACHING ME!!

Many blessings,


No comments: