Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Jon & Kate - NEVERMIND!!!

You know.... I was going to blog about my Jon & Kate thoughts, but I changed my mind. There are more important things in my life to talk about – my kids!

We scored some AWESOME tickets to last night's Braves game against the Chicago Cubs. We're cheap/thrifty, so we packed snacks to bring along (popcorn, Cracker Jacks, water, Capri Sun) not to mention dinner (we ate that in the care BEFORE the game).

We decided to leave during the 8th inning (to get a head start on the traffic). Once outside the stadium, walking to the parking lot, we encountered a homeless man asking for change. We have a policy of not giving money for fear that they will use it for alcohol/drugs. Craig told the guy that we didn't have money but we did have some extra popcorn left over. He gladly accepted it – which came as a surprise to us. As this gentleman is sitting on the curb eating popcorn, Chelsea – my precious almost-11-year-old daughter – decided that the guy must be thirsty and she wanted to go back and offer her half drank bottle of water. Instead of offering the water, we remembered that we still had Capri Suns left & a few Weight Watcher candy bars. Craig & the kids walked back to the man and gave him the drink & candy.

As they were walking back toward me & Craig's parents, Chelsea started looking around. Then she said “Mommy, I feel bad for that guy. He didn't have anything and no one else would stop to help him.” This thought continued to anger her. “Mommy, I cannot believe those people just walked by him and ignored him as if he was garbage. That makes me so angry. I just want to say something to them. What's wrong with people?” - clearly she gets her passion from me.

What a great opportunity for Craig & I to teach our children about charity, homelessness & even worked in some of the Bible – remember the story of the Good Samaritan?

And what verse popped into MY mind – Matthew 25:41-45 (NIV)

“Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.'
“They will also answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?'
“He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'
“Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”


May God give you teachable moments.

Many blessings,
Allison

No comments: