Friday, December 13, 2013

Christmas with Dad


One of the Christmas memories that sticks out most in my mind is from 1993. That was the 1st year my Dad was a single father.

Poor man was 'stuck' with 3 daughters who he didn't have much of a relationship with. To make matters worse, we were 21, 18 & 17. Those are hard enough ages to shop for when you KNOW the kid. Imagine having no clue!

I don't think I was expecting much that Christmas. I mean, we didn't have much of a relationship prior to that. At least not one that didn't involve screaming & yelling.

He did a good job. He did his best. That Christmas morning, we awoke to gift cards to JC Penny (where EVERY teen loves to shop), a hunter green bathrobe with our initials embroidered on the pocket and a 12 pack of our favorite soda. I'm sure there were a few odds and ends in our stockings.

Since that 1st Christmas, Dad did considerably better. At one point, he even remembered that I had always wanted to see The Nutcracker. So as an early gift, he gave my sisters, my niece & I tickets to a local ballet performance. That has to be one of my favorite memories. The fact that he remembered after SO many years that I wanted to see that performance.

My father really did have a big heart. It may have taken years to uncover it, but it was there. Eventually he poured that love into his grandchildren too.

We are blessed to have had him in our lives.

Many blessings,


No comments: