Thursday, December 12, 2013

Choosing Joy


The other day I had the wonderful opportunity to support my mom mentor/wife mentor, Karen, as she filmed the next installment of her upcoming DVD curriculum for her ministry Birds On a Wire. While she was teaching lessons I had already heard from her, I guess I needed to hear them again.

The overall topic was "Lies Moms Believe". Yet these lies aren't just for moms.

Lie #11 I must be happy to be a godly mom

I'm going to tailor this lie. I must be happy to be a godly woman. You can search the Bible high & low and no where does God promise happiness. It just cannot be found. But He DOES promise He will bring us joy. He also promises that He will never leave us.

We I need to learn is contentment. And, yes ladies & gentlemen, contentment is LEARNED! It does not come natural. Karen pointed to Philippians 4:11:

I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.

Paul had to learn contentment.

Karen also went on to say that God has provided a 'manual' on how to attain contentment in 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18:

Rejoice always, pray continuously, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

So, today I choose joy.

Today I choose to remember the wonderful times with my father. To keep his memory alive by enjoying those memories. I have truly been blessed by the relationship that I had with my father. While our early years together weren't the best, they weren't all bad.

Today I embrace the chorus of the Newsboys song "Your Love Never Fails":

You stay the same through the ages
Your love never changes
There may be pain in the night
But joy comes in the morning
And when the oceans rage
I don't have to be afraid
Because I know that You love me
Your love never fails

What a promise!!!

As someone sweetly reminded me, grief is a process. No matter how hard I fight the process, it won't change. It is something that must  be endured. But what can change is how handle it. Don't beat myself for feeling the grief, but also don't wallow in my grief. God has surrounded me with wonderful & loving friends and family. It's time that I lean on them.

I am a blessed woman.... I am a godly woman.

Many blessings,



No comments: