Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Christmas Memories


The year is winding down as we celebrate the birth of our Savior. It's hard not to reminisce of the year we are about to say goodbye to.

As I think about Christmas morning, I cannot help to be saddened by the realization that 1 year ago we celebrate Christmas with my father. It was his final Christmas. While we didn't necessarily do anything special, it will forever be a special day for me. For that was the last time I saw my dad.

It was wonderful to come home from work that morning. To not only have my husband and children with me as we opened presents, but to have my dad there to join in the early morning chaos. You could see the sheer joy on his face as he absorbed the excitement that came from Slugger & Songbird that morning.

I can't remember a single gift that was given. But I will always remember that moment.There, by the lights on our tree, my little family of four was temporarily a family of five. Later in the day, we were joined by my sister and her boyfriend (my soon-to-be brother-in-law) and the delicious mustache cake she made in honor of Dad.




This year, we will once again be a family of 5 as my mother joins us for the holiday. What a blessing that my children get to have another holiday with a grandparent.

The past few months have been a roller coaster of emotions. I've admitted that I wasn't looking forward to Christmas this year. Yet I know that I must move forward so that I can heal. My father would not want me to stop my life. In fact, he'd be very upset with me. So, again, I choose joy this holiday season. I choose to remember the wonderful times with my Dad. Not just last year's memories, but ALL of the memories that I have with him.

Merry Christmas!!




No comments: