Tuesday, June 18, 2013

But I AM worthy.... and so are you


It's been a pretty rough week in my life. Work issues, friends health issues. But what has broken my heart the most is a small conversation with the Mayor.

No, don't worry -- we're fine. In fact, we had a wonderful confirmation that we are on the right track in our marriage. That's a whole other entry.

What has broken my heart this week is learning that someone from our church has told an acquaintance that they would not be welcomed in our church because of their past.

WHAT?!?!?!

Why am I so bothered by this? Because if attending church was contingent on our past, NONE of us would be able to attend. I know my past alone would make me ineligible.

Romans 3:23-24
For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.

What I love about these verses is the word ALL. That word is so inclusive. It's numeric value is infinite. Think about it:

couple -- 2
few -- 3 or more
several -- 5 or more

Yet all - there really is no numeric value. It means infinity.

That means every single person who has been on this planet - past, present or future -- is unworthy yet through Christ's death & resurrection have been redeemed. What gives us the right to tell someone they are/are not allowed to attend a church.

Yesterday's sermon was perfect. It's called "My Bad Church Experience: Part III". The entire sermon was how church should be all inclusive. I couldn't help but chuckle, praying that the person who told our acquaintance they couldn't attend was convicted of their actions/words.

I try to be inclusive. I'm not always good at it. I try to remember the hurt & pain I felt when I am not included.

Dear friends, be inclusive. Welcome everyone.

Many blessings,


No comments: