Thursday, October 25, 2012

Eye opening


Seems like God's got something to say to me and I am just not sitting still enough to listen to Him. You know, REALLY listen to Him.

Today was my mom's group, Birds on a Wire. As I said yesterday, slowly but surely I am starting to break out of my shell at this group. It really is nice to be around women who have kids around the same age as Songbird & Slugger. Some even have college aged kids - which tells me there is hope!

Our topic today "I am a bad mom"... Well, not really that we're bad moms, but the lie that we believe. I'll freely admit it, I regularly compare myself to other moms, telling myself that if I was only like so and so, I'd be a much better mother.

The area that I often struggle with the most is the fact that I am a working mom. I have worked outside of the home pretty much since our children were born. Mainly out of financial necessity, but also because I need to be someone other than mom/wife.

God revealed something through Karen, our speaker/leader/mentor, that sung to my heart. God designed us to be the person we are. He also designed our children to be the people who they are. He perfectly suited us to be Mom to our children - whether through birth, adoption, fostering.

Then she shared a Bible passage. One that I have heard before. In fact, it is often used to defend the Pro Life stand.
Psalm 139:13-16
For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you
   when I was made in the secret place,
   when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes saw my unformed body,
    all the days ordained for me were written in your book
    before one of them came to be.
Yet this time we focused on the last part.
All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.
Not just my days were ordained, but my children's days were ordained. God hand selected me and The Mayor to parent these wonderful children. He knew that before ANY of us were formed. That's powerful stuff.

Instead of worrying what others think of me as a mother, I need to look to God to teach me to parent. He is the ultimate Father. He is our Heavenly Father. I don't know about you, but that takes a LOT of pressure off of me.

Needless to say, I am once again thankful that I managed to push myself out of my comfort zone and start attending this group. I've even decided to sign up for the Spring session...

Many blessings,

  
    


No comments: