Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The state of marriage


The other day, I was at the middle school for Slugger's final band concert of 7th grade. I ran in to a friend's mother - who happened to be visiting Georgia to spend time with her son, his wife & children.

I have known this woman since I was in the 7th grade - since 1984/1985. That's a LONG time - I'm too tired to do the math. As I approached her, I realized that I probably hadn't seen my friend's mother since I moved to Georgia in 2004.

We hugged. The first words out of her mouth to me were "So, are you divorced yet?"

Umm...... excuse me?!?!?!?!

Did I mention that this woman was at my wedding? Her daughter read scripture. I was in her daughter's wedding.

I politely told her that I was still married. We continued to catch up and then left.

I told my husband about it and I started getting a little offended. What made her think my marriage wouldn't last?

Then I started to really think about it.

Let's face it. 1 in 2 marriages end in divorce. It's become the norm in our society. It is more unusual for a couple to remain married - especially for 16 years. I think what's even more unheard of is a couple being HAPPILY married.

Yes, I said it. I am happily married. I won't sit here and say that all 16 years have been happy. We have been through some trying times. But we have managed to come out the other side for the better. Our marriage is stronger because of the trials we've endured.

I'm saying it here & now -- DIVORCE IS NOT IN OUR VOCABULARY WHEN IT COMES TO OUR MARRIAGE.

It saddens me to think that most marriages will end before they even have a chance to begin. People no longer fight for what they want. They give up so easily. Spouses become disposable. Marriages end with a quick scribble of a pen.

The state of my marriage is always a work in progress. Even after 16 years, we learn something new every day.

I am proud to be able to answer the "Are you divorced" question with a NO!

Many blessings,



No comments: