Monday, January 7, 2013

Heart & Mind


I am not a marriage expert. My marriage is not perfect. There are days where I do things right and then days where I am a complete mess up.

One thing I am always saying is 'I wish we knew.... before we got married." Learning those lessons wouldn't have stopped me from getting married, but I do think they might have helped with some of the speed bumps we've encountered through the years.

The Mayor and I have decided to take time off from being small group leaders for couples. I'll be honest. I feel guilty for not feeling guilty about the decision. We truly needed the time off. We need to reconnect with one another, with our family, with ourselves. We can't be effective small group leaders if we don't fill ourselves up.

Yet, marriage has been on my heart & mind. Marriage in America is in a crisis. People use marriage as something disposable. Don't like the person, life getting tough - divorce. Don't get me wrong - I've been there. I've said it. I've contemplated it.

The Mayor & I dated for over 3 years before getting engaged. We were engaged for over a year before getting married. We did not live together until we said I DO.

We have been married for 15 years. We have fought our way to this point. There were definitely times where we wanted to throw in the towel. Today we are thankful that we stuck together and fought the battle. Every day is a battle. It is SO easy to become complacent. To just take advantage of one another. To take advantage that our spouse will always be there.

When we go back to leading a small group in August, I seriously think we should consider investing in marriages. Either new marriages or established marriages. That I'm not sure. But I do believe that God is leading us to this point. We have a lot to offer couples. We have so much to learn.

This is my heart & mind.....

Many blessings,


No comments: