Monday, February 8, 2016

Falling from Grace


Recently, I learned about a friend's "fall from grace". This got me thinking.

Whose grace do we fall from?

That's a loaded question regardless of who you ask.

Certainly, we fall from the grace of fellow man. When we make a mistake (big or small), our fellow man tends to lose a little respect. We've let them down. They see us in a different light. The bigger the 'fall' the more emotions that are involved.

But what about God's grace? Can we fall from His grace?

So, I started digging into scripture to see what God had to say.

2 Corinthians 12:9 & 10
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. 

I think those are powerful words from Paul. It is when WE are at our weakest that God's power is made perfect. We are given God's grace so that we may endure the fight we find ourselves in when we are struggling.

As I look back at my struggles, I can clearly see the hand of God in each event. Trust me, I didn't always see His Hand in the midst of the struggle. I would feel like He was far away. But I don't think that He distanced Himself from me. I was the one who moved away.

His grace gives me the strength I need to overcome. I simply need to lean on Him.
Isaiah 40:31
but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, the will walk and not be faint.
So to answer my own question, no I don't think we fall from God's grace. It is a free gift given to us. We simply need to accept it of our own volition. He doesn't force it on us.

But His grace also isn't a magic spell, giving permission to run amok.

So to my friend I say, hang in there. God's grace is sufficient. It covers the multitudes of our sins. You have a long battle ahead of you, but you can get through it. Focus on Him.

Many blessings,





No comments: