Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Not so anti-elf

A few weeks ago, I blogged about the phenomenon of Elf on the Shelf. Needless to say, I wasn't a big fan. In fact, I went so far as making a public declaration that we will never allow an Elf in our home.... Ahh, good thing my kids don't read my blogs!

After reading an article in a local publication about Elf on the Shelf, I've changed my mind. Don't get me wrong, we're not in the market for one THIS year, but I think we might consider one (or two) for next year.

The premise of Elf on the Shelf is that on Thanksgiving, one of Santa's scout elves arrives at your home to keep an eye on the children. Each night, when the kids are asleep, the elf returns to the North Pole to report back to Santa. The elf arrives beck before the children awake - each day relaxing in a new location. The children wake & search for their elf. The elf cannot be touched by children's hands or he could lose his magic. Also, the elf is NOT allowed to talk to children, but is allowed to chat with mom & dad. Then, on Christmas Eve when Santa arrives, the elf helps Santa deliver the presents & returns to the North Pole until next year.

There is no destruction involved with this elf. No pranks or messes for kids to clean up. No flour scattered about, not missing car keys. These guys cannot go to school and wreak havoc either. The just hang home & keep an eye on the kids.

Looks like my wish list for next year will include an Elf on the Shelf. We could use help keeping an eye out on the kids.

Many blessings,
Allison

No comments: